We've been debating whether to share this post for a while, because, well, frankly it may be TMI (for our more mature followers, that’s text lingo for “too much information”)! Those of you in the healing professions will be familiar with the importance of privacy and boundaries with clients. And, since many of you are not just customers but also clients, we were concerned that sharing details of our private sex lives would be considered over-sharing.
But while it is true that in some cases we are your coaches and counselors, for most of you we are educators and more importantly, fellow sisters. Our schtick in the world is to help women break down the walls of the most taboo topics and love their bodies. The best way to do that? Model it. So, in that vein, we decided “what the hey?” Let's go for it.
One caveat ladies – we haven’t included the toys we most often use on our partners – to give them some semblance of privacy. ;)
We’re starting things off with Kim. So, without further ado, here’s what you’ll find in her goodie draw:
- Hitachi Magic Wand. The Original Magic Wand has two settings - high and higher. That's why I'm partial to the new Rechargeable Magic Wand which features four speeds and four different vibrational patterns (it's also nice that it doesn't have to be plugged in). Sometimes I use it solo but more often I use it with a partner during intercourse to provide clitoral stimulation.
- Hathor. I keep a few lubes in my bedside drawer but Hathor is the one I reach for most often. The consistency is versatile and because it’s water-based I can use it on toys without worrying I might ruin them (I love Pjur for manual stimulation because it lasts longer but you shouldn't use it on silicone toys). I also like that I'm supporting a Canadian, mother-daughter business.
- Luv It. The first toy I ever bought was a rabbit and I hated it. But once we opened the store I kept hearing our customers rave that it was the best thing they’d ever used. So, I decided to give dual vibes another try (to clarify, when I say “dual vibe” I mean toys that are designed to be used internally and externally at the same time). And, let’s just say, I’m glad I did. I consider the Luv It my “lazy” toy because it takes approximately 45 seconds for me to orgasm :)
- Perk. Of all the dildos we carry, Perk is my fave. Partly I love that it’s made by Happy Valley, a family-owned company that handcrafts all their toys in a 100 year old farmhouse (how cute is that?!) but more importantly, I find it’s the perfect size and shape – not too big, not too small, with just the right amount of texturing. Personally I don’t like toys that look too realistic so I’m also a fan of the bright blue colour.
- Njoy Plug. Finding a good anal toy can be tricky. Size is obviously an important factor, plus you want it to stay in place (they have a tendency to pop out), and be easy to clean. Over the years I’ve had a few butt plugs that I liked – Pleasure Plug, B-Bomb – but the Njoy is the one that has the status of being in my bedside drawer. It covers all the bases – the curved design keeps it in the right spot, it’s made from non-porous stainless steel, and it’s so pretty!
When it comes to toys and lube, it’s all about personal preference. We’re certainly not suggesting that just because we love a particular toy means that it will be the right choice for you. As always, if you’d like a recommendation or have a question, we’d love to hear from you!
Kim & Amy Sedgwick love to discuss sex, periods, and all the other things we’re not supposed to talk about. The co-founders of Red Tent Sisters and ecosex.ca, they’ve been featured in every major Canadian news outlet and have become a trusted resource for women seeking natural (effective!) birth control, a more joyful sex life, and an empowered journey to motherhood.